do you know what’s better than rice, vegetables, or spices? all of those combined, cooked up moroccan style. morocco has one of the most rich and flavorful cuisines in the world, but unfortunately for us plant-eaters, not much of that deliciousness is plant-based. most moroccan meals have either lamb, beef, or chicken, but not this one.
this vegan moroccan tofu pilaf recipe uses tons of spices that you probably already have at home. it’s spicy, savory, and filling. plus, it’s gluten free and takes just one pot. if you want to impress your herbivore sweetheart on valentine’s day, this is a good bet.
like any good pilaf, there are two components: the “meat” and the rice. the “meat” of course, is not actually meat, but instead tofu prepared like moroccan chicken. to make this recipe healthier, the rice component of the dish uses brown rice instead of white.
personally, i like making a big batch of this recipe on sunday and using it as my lunch during the week. if you’re into meal prep, this is definitely a good recipe for you.
comment challenge: if you could teleport anywhere in world, where would it be?
serves 4-6 people
for the rice:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons almonds
- ½ onion
- ¼ cup carrot
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ tsp red pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
for the tofu:
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- juice of a lemon half
- ½ cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon for cooking
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- a pinch of cinnamon
- a pinch of ginger
- drain tofu. place block on paper towels and cover with a plate. place a heavy object, such as a hardcover book, on the plate. let sit while preparing the rice.
- meanwhile, chop the onion, carrot, and lemon zest. on the stove, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. add almonds to hot oil. once almonds are brown and fragrant, add chopped onion, chopped carrot, and cinnamon.
- while vegetables are cooking, rinse brown rice under cold water for thirty seconds, or until the water runs clear. once the onion is translucent, vegetable broth, water, raisins, lemon zest, red pepper, salt, and pepper to pot. bring to a boil over medium heat, then add brown rice. reduce heat to low and simmer with lid slightly open for 30 minutes.
- after 30 minutes, transfer contents of the pot into a fine-mesh strainer. discard cooking liquid. place rice back into the warm pot and let sit for at least 10 minutes, or until tender.
- while waiting for rice to fully cook, prepare the tofu marinade. combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and ginger in a shallow baking dish. cut the tofu into 10-12 small strips and place into the baking dish. let sit for at least 10 minutes on each side.
- heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pot from before. once oil is hot, place tofu into the pot. break up the strips with a spatula and cook, stirring constantly, for at least 10 minutes or until desired level of cooked-ness is reached.
- serve rice and tofu together. garnish with a leaf of parsley.